Author Topic: Question before I buy  (Read 1812 times)

PanCotzky

• View Profile
Question before I buy
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:32:31 pm »
Greetings!

I like the look of your product and I have some questions about its functions before I buy it!

The main question is: how much of the Box2D engine does your product contains? Some time ago Unity had a free Farseer adaptation but it was abandoned by its developers. Also it lacked some functionality of Box2D that I needed. So I was very excited when I found a commercial module that implements Box2D. So...

1) How much of the Box2D functionality does Liquid Physics have?
2) Do you have plans to continue development and support for this module?

Thank you!

Physical_Liquid_Brian

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question before I buy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »
Hi! Thanks for you interest! In answer to your questions.

2) Do you have plans to continue development and support for this module?
Yes, we have more planned features and also intend to fix any bugs or issues found asap.

1) Difficult to quantify this. I would say most, if not all, of Box2ds features are exposed, but not every single function is. I tried to expose enough to allow you to make whatever game you want.
The best way to answer this question would be if you listed the functionality you need and I can say whether its there or not.

PanCotzky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »
Oh, so Liquid Physics infact contains the Box2D dll and it's only a matter of function exposure to the user?

Physical_Liquid_Brian

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:17:22 pm »
Yes, more or less. To be specific it includes libraries for various platforms (.dll for windows, .so for android) which are built from liquidfun, which is a superset of Box2d with particle simulation added.
http://google.github.io/liquidfun/
These C++ libraries are accessed as a unity plugin
http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Plugins.html
Because you can only pass primitives between C# and C++ there is also a C++ and C# API later that I wrote. So this is the API you will be using and not the default Box2d one, though also I wrote lots of C# helper classes so you can do a lot of stuff in unity just using the GUI.
If you found you need to expose more Box2d functions or whatever you could do that by modifying my API source code (which is included) and build the libraries again. Though no-one has asked me about that on the forums yet.

PanCotzky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:38 am »
Aha... That's very cool! I think it's the thing that Unity is lacking.

Have you compared the performance of your library with a performance of the standard Unity2D physics? I'm making a game that is pretty heavy on the quantity of simple physical colliders and their interactions (1000+) and it's all for android. The vanilla unity2d physics shows a mild performance issues at this rates. Have you tested Liquid Physics for such quantities of colliders (I mean something like circle colliders, not liquid particles)?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:40:13 am by PanCotzky »

Physical_Liquid

• The Liquidator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:38 pm »
The short answer to your question is, no. We haven't done any comprehensive comparison tests. I just did a 1000 circle collider test on my machine with both LP2D and unity's 2d physics side by side. i didn't notice any real performance difference between the two.

However liquidfun and our plugin are designed from the ground up to simulate 1000's of bodies interacting. The whole thing is designed to be faster and more efficient than using 1000's of colliders. I'm not sure why you would want to use 1000's of colliders instead of 1000's of LP2D particles.

To make a presumption: I would assume that Unity's 2D physics colliders would perform the same or slightly better than LP2D's colliders in high numbers. However LP2D's particles would perform far better than either.

To give another test example, i recently ran a test of 40,000+ LP2D particles running within the editor on an overclocked i5 machine and the test ran fine. Unity however would have crashed if i had approached anywhere near that number with circle colliders.

let me know if you have any further questions.

Annabef

• View Profile
Question before I buy
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:50 pm »
Hello im just finish a game and want to buy DLC, can somebody tell me what im receive from DLC, what files exacly ? I want to know it before buy, what kind of files ill receive when i pay, some graphics,music files,binaries,source files ? which ones ill get ?

___
XRumer 12.0.17 + SocPlugin: Effective soft for SMM and SEO